The Holy Name of Jesus Parish and the Diocese of Rockville Centre are closely monitoring the situation regarding the Coronavirus outbreak. In light of recent developments, the DRVC has issued the following directives:
- Beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 at 3:00 PM, all Masses (weekday and weekend), meetings, and non-essential activities in our parishes are suspended or postponed through May 15, 2020. This will include all Holy Week and Easter Liturgies. However, these will be televised and available online (see below).
- This includes all Confirmations, First Communions, First Confessions, etc. When these events are rescheduled, they will be announced by local parishes. Funerals and weddings may be permitted if necessary, but should be limited to immediate family and remain under 50 people in attendance. Baptisms should be postponed unless absolutely necessary and should observe the same limits.
- The Church will remain open during limited hours of visitation from 9 AM to 12 PM for private prayer at the discretion of the Pastor. However, this must observe the recommendation of fewer than 20 people permitted, as well as maintaining appropriate physical distance to limit the person-to-person spread of the virus.
- The Catholic Faith Network (CFN) will provide televised and online daily Masses, including Holy Week and Easter Liturgies, as well as other devotional and spiritual programs. (Optimum channel 29/137, Verizon FiOS TV channel 296, and Spectrum channel 162/471.) Televised Masses can be watched online here.
- Catholic Schools will be closed until further notice
- Religious Education classes are suspended until further notice
- DRVC administrative offices in Rockville Centre and Massapequa Park will be closed through April 13, 2020. During this time, Diocesan employees will continue to conduct business remotely via telephone and email.
Our top priority is providing a safe and healthy environment for everyone to live and worship. The Parish and the Diocese will continue to promote Catholic living and learning in ways that are best for every member of our Faith and community.
We will continue to monitor this evolving situation and take necessary action with regards to future events. We will update this page with any changes to our policies or new guidelines or directives from the DRVC. All dates and policies listed on this page are subject to change. Periods of closure/cancellation of events may be extended as the situation requires. We will continue to evaluate all available options and make updates that the Parish and/or the DRVC determine to be necessary.
We may not be able to worship and adore Jesus at the Church and through Mass, but know that we can create our own little Church at home with our own families! Always remember that the Church is not a building, but God’s People.
We want to wish every member of the HNJ Parish a Happy and Blessed Easter! We pray that you and your families and friends are healthy and that the Blessings of The Lord continue to shine down on all of us. We look forward to the day when we can all come back together and celebrate as one.
Please visit the following links for more information and useful links:
Statements & Updates from the Diocese of Rockville Centre:
Health Resources Regarding the Coronavirus:
Watch Mass Online:
A National Call to Give
Dear Friends in Faith,
On March 21, as part of the daily Coronavirus task force update, Vice President Mike Pence along with President Trump, urged people of all faiths to remember that the ministries of faith communities throughout this country are reliant on their sacrificial gifts. The Vice President outlined the fact that faith communities are streaming their Masses and Services as well as continuing to serve their communities by caring for those in need. He specifically made a public call to everyone to remember to give their offertory contributions in this time of challenge here in America because of all the good works which our faith communities do!
Please click here to listen to Vice President Pence’s call to action and charity.
God Bless the USA!
In these hard times, as always, the Church is dependent upon the donations and generosity of our parishioners and visitors to our church to help us keep the lights on and continue the work we are called to by Our Heavenly Father. With all Masses and events being suspended, our main source of continued financial support (in-person collections during Masses) is no longer available to us. Please consider keeping up recurring donations to help us meet our ongoing expenses. You can click here or follow the link below to make online donations, or you may mail contributions in the form of checks to the church office. However, we cannot accept cash in the mail at this time. Thank you for your continued support even in these challenging times. The kindness and generosity of all who come to our Church is the lifeblood of the Holy Name of Jesus Church community.
Long Island Catholic
Formed: Online Content from the Augustine Institute
HNJ’s Formed Page – Formed is a streaming service that provides Religious content in the form of TV shows, movies, books, audiobooks, and more. It is free to our parishioners when they sign up for an account.